The New WMZ

Main Forums WMZ site The New WMZ

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Darkroomist 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Billy McCall
    Participant

Well, I can’t seem to get added in on the Google Group. Want to just talk about the site here, on the site?

I’m not sure who is on here, or how often people are actually looking at this new up and coming site. But my name is Billy, and I want to help out in whatever ways I can. Feel free to contact me directly, or post things here in reply!

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard Billy! We’re here sporadically. Nix is copying over some of the relevant posts. He’s also an admin. You can coordinate with him if that’s something you’re interested in helping with. I’ll probably do some but I just started a new job with pretty strict internet usage policies so I’m more of a sysadmin/interested/supportive member/co-admin sort of thing.

Eventually the current WMZ will go away and that’s slated for September presently. The goal is to get content everybody loves over to this site before then and when we’re all as happy as we can be with this new site, transfer the domain to here and become WMZ proper. We just don’t want to greet new and previous users with a blank sate so to speak.

While we’re moving the content over and signing up some new users we are still in the construction phase of this site. Things are subject to change and we’re open to suggestions.

Also fee free to just post stuff here, test stuff out, etc. This will become the new WMZ home 🙂

Billy McCall
    Participant

Cool! Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I don’t know how much help I can be, but will at least pitch in my 2 cents. I’ve already told Nyx that I don’t think bringing content over from the other site should be a super high priority. Certain posts have longevity, but many times posts are dated. New zine announcements from a year ago, calls for submissions for zines that are already out now, or talking about a zinefest that has already passed, etc.

I’m also of the thought that less is more. Most websites try to cram in too much. Even this reply I’m typing, do I really need all the “bold, italics, link,” etc options at the top? Maybe it’s just me, but i feel like every website has a million things going on, and it’s too much.

The main reason I wanted on this crew, though, is to talk about the idea of selling zines online. I’ve been selling on etsy for some time now, but am getting tired of it. I was thinking of starting a new site, similar to etsy, but focused on zines. Then I thought maybe it should be incorporated into this site. Anyone want to voice thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

I’ve been thinking about this and here’s what I’ve come up with. I don’t mind people selling zines through this site. Maybe a forum or group would be good for this. I think we can have sub forums under forums as well so I wouldn’t mind doing something craigslist style. I think that would be cool.

What I’m not doing is an e-commerce site. I’m not doing shopping carts, vetting vendors or buyers, processing payments, resolving transaction problems, etc.

Crowcrumbs
    Participant

Thanks to all who made this new site happen. It’s looking good! I’ll invite some people to join.

Ginger
    Participant

Yeah! I submitted an application to join for the “old” site last week and when it went unanswered, I thought the site might be dead…even though I could see active forum posts!

Anyway, happy camper now so thanks!

Zippity Zinedra
    Participant

Thought to post this here cause it’s not necessarily a bug and has to do with the new site. Is there any way to receive email notifications when someone posts in a group?

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

No there doesn’t seem to be a way better o get email notification for group posts. The only solution presently is to use the RSS feed to get notifications of new group activity. It’s kinda old school but then again, so are Zines. 👍🏻

Zippity Zinedra
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Just thought I’d ask.

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

No Prob, I’m just learning some of the finer points of these plugins as well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.