The Great Blunder of December 2017

Main Forums WMZ site The Great Blunder of December 2017

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 6 hours, 11 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

Hey Guys, I messed up … Bad. We had a spammer bulk message most everybody. I went to delete those messages in the database (the only way) because I didn’t want anyone, lame as the messages were, to fall for the scam. Despite selecting only the scammers messages it deleted all the messages. This didn’t seem like a problem because the server makes daily, weekly, and monthly backups. So I imported what should have been yesterday’s database and was going to merge the messages into the current database. Only the import overwrote the current database and apparently the server hadn’t made a daily backup since March. While I make multiple backups they all rely on the initial ones the server makes being correct. So what was is gone.

I’m pretty destroyed. I’ve worked hard on this site. I’m going to spend tonight trying to get the site functionally to where it was but if you had signed up before you will need to again. I’m so, so sorry. I’m rather distraught over this. It’s ultimately my fault for not making sure the backups were good. I apologize to you all and ask for another chance, this will not happen again.

-Darkroomist

• This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Darkroomist.

Billy
    Participant

Like the Phoenix, WMZ shall rise again! Out with the old, in with the new! Don’t worry about it, shit happens.

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

Thanks Billy, it means a lot.

I found out why the backups weren’t running. During an update in march the people that make the server package the site runs wrote a new backup script with a version of php newer than php version cron job used to call it. I know it’s pretty nerdy but I switched two characters and it works again.

Onward and upward, with good backups!

Jenna Appleseed
    Participant

Already tweeted you but it case you haven’t seen it parts of the old Ning version are on the internet archive/wayback machine

& some profiles/posts are still in googles cache
    if you or anyone wants/needs to salvage & repost any content.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160905013546/http://wemakezines.ning.com:80/

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

Thanks, I have that book marked. 🙂

Quasifesto
    Keymaster

You’re fine. We appreciate all that you do so we have a little space on the web to talk zine stuff. You owned it, you fixed it, you’re golden.

Ed
    Participant

Oh yeah, don’t sweat it Darkroomist. We appreciate all you do for the site. Its not like anyone is gonna get upset because they have to repost their new issue announcement.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love