Hey Guys, I messed up … Bad. We had a spammer bulk message most everybody. I went to delete those messages in the database (the only way) because I didn’t want anyone, lame as the messages were, to fall for the scam. Despite selecting only the scammers messages it deleted all the messages. This didn’t seem like a problem because the server makes daily, weekly, and monthly backups. So I imported what should have been yesterday’s database and was going to merge the messages into the current database. Only the import overwrote the current database and apparently the server hadn’t made a daily backup since March. While I make multiple backups they all rely on the initial ones the server makes being correct. So what was is gone.
I’m pretty destroyed. I’ve worked hard on this site. I’m going to spend tonight trying to get the site functionally to where it was but if you had signed up before you will need to again. I’m so, so sorry. I’m rather distraught over this. It’s ultimately my fault for not making sure the backups were good. I apologize to you all and ask for another chance, this will not happen again.
This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Darkroomist.
I found out why the backups weren’t running. During an update in march the people that make the server package the site runs wrote a new backup script with a version of php newer than php version cron job used to call it. I know it’s pretty nerdy but I switched two characters and it works again.