Saddle stapler or long reach?

Main Forums General Zine Making Saddle stapler or long reach?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Billy McCall 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

Which do you prefer? Saddle stapler or a long reach (alligator) style? I went with an old swing line saddle stapler I found for an ok deal on eBay some time ago. If you line the paper up with the one side you can pretty consistently put 2 nicely spaced staples on a half page zine. Anyone out there stitching? Other methods of zine binding? Hopefully the days of rubber bands are behind us!

Quasifesto
    Keymaster

I have a long arm stapler so that’s what I use. It’s not necessarily a preference. It’s just the best tool I have available for the job.

Dale Harkness
    Participant

Great question, Darkroomist! I have both but typically prefer the saddle stapler. The long reach stapler is a Pilot 412 I found in a thrift store while the saddle stapler came from Craigslist and is a Salco Rapid 106 dual head electric.

The Pilot is good for stapling together a single copy such as a first draft. As for the Salco, it isn’t always easy to get aligned on the booklet’s spine but it does save time when I have more than one zine to staple since it only takes one press of the foot-pedal to insert both staples simultaneously.

Billy McCall
    Participant

I have a Swingline long arm and it always works for me. I think for most zines, long arms are better. Saddles are good for oversize projects, but those are not all that common.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.