Ripe With Rage (feminism/mental health)

Main Forums Calls for Submissions Ripe With Rage (feminism/mental health)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Veruca H. Gash 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

veronica
    Participant

DUE JULY 25 2017

RIPE WITH RAGE is accepting submissions for its second issue: asylum. We will be picking apart the topic of mental health. Women + stress/anxiety/depression, commentary on the treatment of women with mental illnesses throughout history, self care resources, personal experiences struggling with a mental health issue, growing up with an affected family member, thoughts on addiction and eating disorders, how to navigate the health care system when all you fucking need is to talk to an affordable doctor that won’t judge you, etc. Insanity, real or imagined.

RIPE WITH RAGE is a quarterly zine released in Jan, Apr, July, and Oct. Each issue tackles a theme from a feminist perspective. Profits from each issue are donated to an organization serving the Nashville area that addresses women’s issues.

Writing Guidelines: Personal writing of all kinds (essays, lists, etc), handwritten pieces, fiction, poetry are all accepted. Please submit in body of email or as a Word Doc. 5,000 word max, no minimum. If accepted you will be asked to submit a short bio for the contributors page. Anonymous submissions are also accepted.

Art Guidelines: Visual artwork / photography submit as JPEG, 300 DPI. Max 3 pieces per artist.

Payment: One free issue mailed to you.
    Submit to: EVEYINORBIT@gmail.com

Veruca H. Gash
    Participant

This is RIGHT up my alley! I was recently hospitalized at Peachtree in Atlanta by my mother after my husband died from a heroin/methadone overdose in April. I was absolutely STUNNED to see the things that are allowed to happen here in GA to women in particular in those places.

I kept telling everyone I spoke with – including my family – every step of the way that I was simply grieving the loss of my best friend and the love of my life. I did not understand why my posting a status update that expressed my yearning to be with him again – ending with the conclusion that I needed to live for him – was somehow “bad” or “crazy.”

Here in Georgia, they have a “legal hold” law. I can’t even begin to express how insane it is.

1013 INVOLUNTARY LEGAL HOLD FOR MENTAL ILLNESS – WTF??? (my story)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.