Photo Zines 101

Main Forums General Zine Making Photo Zines 101

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Count Zinetacula 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Nyx
    Keymaster

I love the idea of making a photo zine, but I’d love borderless pages…

Does anyone here make photo zines? Do you print yourself or use a printer? Trim the edges yourself, or do you prefer the borders? Any tips or tricks specific to photo zines?

Ed
    Participant

Hi Nyx,
    Oh yeah, there are a lot of folks here that make photo zines, myself included. I find it is best to let your content determine the format of the zine. Some photos beg for some neutral space around the borders, while others look good with a full bleed.
    I know some photographers who cannot stand to trim even a millimeter of their images and would never allow them bleed or be carried across a fold.
    Keep in mind, if you are printing, cutting and stapling a zine yourself, a full bleed is a lot of work. I do in for my 8 page mini-zine, but just saying.

In my opinion it seems like trimmed border less pages of photographs are found on more gritty photozines. Large white borders are found more on those looking to be more artistic. Borders obviously work better on larger formats. The first photozine I made I tried to model it like a coffee table book with lots of white space and small blocks of text to identify photos. It was half letter size. I ended up with small photos that begged to be printed bigger.

With my 8 page 1/4 letter zine I print borderless front and back and no trimming is necessary. But with laser printing I doubt borderless is an option. I these kind of zines still look better without borders, but thats me.

Nyx
    Keymaster

Hi Ed – The work involved with a full bleed is exactly what makes me hesitate to do it that way, that’s for sure!

Hiya Matthew – I had an old machine that would do borderless, but I haven’t heard of any printers that will do it that way since. Well, any printers that will let me get away with less than 500 copies at a time. 😉

I do like the idea of borders with room for text.

Darkroomist
    Keymaster

My first (and unfortunately only) zine was a photo zine, I just went lo-fi and printed it on my Laserjet 4100dtn with no trimming.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Darkroomist.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Darkroomist.

Count Zinetacula
    Participant

I make photo zines sometimes – I just stick the photos into the zine itself and then photocopy. I know there’s a slicker way to do it though! (with photoshop)

Nyx
    Keymaster

There’s something to be said for ignoring the ‘slick’ and going for the more ‘traditional’ approach.

Count Zinetacula
    Participant

I’m all about the ‘traditional’ 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.