Let's Trade Zines App

Main Forums General Discussion Let's Trade Zines App

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Emma Atkinson 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Olivia M.
    Participant

Hey! I’m an amateur programmer and I’m in the process of developing an Android app for the zine community called Let’s Trade Zines. It won’t be like this site, as it will focus more on facilitating trades and one-on-one messaging rather than groups and forums. Features will include: profiles with username, location, age, gender, description, trades completed, trade ratings, zines likes, and zines made; profile search, one-on-one messaging and a message center showing messages received in order received, ability to follow other users to see when they post new zines, ability to suggest and open trades with other users, ability to rate a trade after 30 days or mark it incomplete, a page that lists your open and completed trades, and potentially more.

So far I’ve implemented about half of the app. I’ve got account creation, login, profiles, profile pic upload, messaging, a profile list, and the message center working. I’m currently working on expanding the profile list into a profile search and creating the system for trades. The feed of followed users will be something I work on last. I also need to implement profile editing, and the ability to delete messages. Account authentication and creation, the user database, and asset hosting are fulfilled by Google Firebase.

I’ve only been working on this project for a little over a week, and it’s my first Android app, but I think I’ve gotten pretty far. Luckily I have previous programming experience.

As I continue to finish the app I’ll post updates here.

Feel free to suggest features for the app or ask questions!

I hope to one day make an ios version of the app, but it costs $100 to start developing for ios, so maybe someday.

Quasifesto
    Keymaster

This sounds great! Keep us posted.

Blythe
    Participant

this is an awesome idea. i have everything apple but my husband might have an old android phone lying around i might be able to steal once the app is up and running.

Frances DeMartino
    Participant

One word regarding the IOS – Kickstarter! Good luck with the app – I will definitely be a user – I have an Android tablet just for favorite Android apps.

kristism
    Participant

That’s a great idea, Olivia! Do you have a link to your project? If you want I can promote it via some Facebook Zine Groups and the weblog of the archive of youth cultures…

Olivia M.
    Participant

I actually don’t have any online presence for the app yet, though I posted about it on Zines a Go Go on Facebook. There will be a website eventually at http://letstradezines.wordpress.com/ and I’ll make a Facebook page for it. And when it’s done I’ll release it on the Google Play store. Pretty soon I’ll be ready for beta testing, so if anyone is interested let me know!

Nathan Penlington
    Participant

This is such a great idea! I’d definitely be up for helping with beta testing when you’re at that stage.

mariah m
    Participant

Really great idea. I wouldn’t mind helping out with beta testing. Also, keep us posted on any other tasks you might need help with. I second the kickstarter idea as well. Good luck.

Olivia M.
    Participant

Update! I’m almost done with the trading system. It works right now, but I still have to add the trade star rating system. Other things that need to be completed include: profile editing, app logo, password reset, adding number of completed trades to profile, message and zine deletion, search for zines, better search for profiles, add recent messages and open trades to welcome page, follow feed, and better instructions to the user about how the trade system works.

Olivia M.
    Participant

At this stage I’m probably two thirds to three quarters done and almost ready for beta testing! Most of what I’ve got left to do is simple, aside from the searching and potentially the follow feed system.

Billy McCall
    Participant

I don’t do smart phones, but love the idea. Props! Do it! If you make a website, and want help running it, let me know!

Olivia M.
    Participant

I made a logo for the app!

https://i1.wp.com/wemakezines.com/wp-content/uploads/bpfb/118_0-31778000-1499892893_logo.png?w=594

Billy McCall
    Participant

great logo!

Emma Atkinson
    Participant

When/if you’re looking for beta testers, I would love to help out!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.