Reply To: How do you layout your zine?

Main Forums General Zine Stuff How do you layout your zine? Reply To: How do you layout your zine?

Ed
Participant

Of course zines are an extension of your personality in paper form. There is no set standard that applies, nor should there be. I am likely more dogmatic that your average zinester and I like to let the “form follows function” philosophy guide my design decisions. To that end, I always let the content dictate the layout. I feel it’s a good practice. Unless, you are anti “all-that,” in which case, you should do your own thing.
For my photo zines, The 5¢ News and Instant, I used Photoshop to do the entire layout. Since Adobe and I got our divorce, I have been using Gimp with very few ill effects (though the differences between those two programs are a whole other post.)
For my personal zine, A Long Way Down, I pull content from my notebooks, sketchbooks and photo archives. I like the text to be handwritten so run all the raw material though a word processor to spare my readers from all my spelling a grammar mistakes, and then hand write the finished articles on grid paper to keep the column of text a consistent width. I then scan all that back into my computer and use Gimp for layout.
I have only done one zine with a direct paper master. By that I mean creating a “master” on a sheet of paper than can be laid on a Xerox machine to make the edition without a digital file. I liked the result and I will definitely use that method again. To be honest, however, I did use my computer to resize the photos so that they would fit on the paper master. It would have been really troublesome to do it any other way.